Viking Announces New Mediterranean Cruises for 2021
Viking Ocean Cruises Announces New Mediterranean Cruises, Returns to Istanbul, and Announces It’s 7th Ship: Viking Venus
We shared with you back in March the Top 5 Luxury Ocean Cruise Destinations.
In that article, we learned that a whopping 43% of all luxury cruise itineraries are in the Mediterranean and Northern Europe. We further learned the Viking Ocean Cruises commands a 29.9% market share of the Mediterranean cruise market, followed by Crystal, Seabourn, and Regent.
And if you’ve considered booking a 2020 Viking ocean cruise, you’ve likely learned that Viking is very near sold-out in the Mediterranean for 2020.
The moral to that story? If you want to sail with Viking in the Mediterranean, you’d better get something booked for 2021 right now. Remarkably, the most popular 2021 destinations are already filling up. And if you wait another year to consider a 2021 Mediterranean ocean cruise, you’re going to be shut out again.
Remember, there are 80,000,000 baby boomer travelers vying for these cruises. They sell out quickly!
I’m sure our friends at Viking wished they could snap their fingers and immediately have 15 of these award-winning ships, but I guess they’ll have to settle for a new ship coming every year for the foreseeable future.
So, armed with this extraordinary information, let’s take a peek at a recent Viking Cruises press release.
Viking Cruises: New Mediterranean Itineraries and New Ships
Viking® (www.vikingcruises.com) has announced its seventh ocean ship, Viking Venus®, will join its award-winning fleet in early 2021, further solidifying the company’s standing as the largest and world’s best small-ship ocean cruise line. The newest 930-guest sister ship will spend her maiden season sailing popular itineraries in Scandinavia and Northern Europe, including British Isles Explorer, In Search of the Northern Lights, Viking Homelands and Into the Midnight Sun.
“The spirit of exploration is at the heart of everything we do. We have always drawn inspiration from the original Viking explorers, who were the first to use the stars and constellations for long-distance navigation. Many elements onboard our ships honor those Viking explorers, and we are proud to host our guests on itineraries that sail some of those historic trading routes,” said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking. “I am pleased to announce that Viking Venus will join our fleet in 2021, allowing us the ability to introduce even more travelers to the Viking way of exploration.”
Viking will also expand its offerings in the Mediterranean and today announced five new itineraries that include stops in Istanbul, marking the company’s return to the iconic city. The new 8-day Ancient Mediterranean Treasures will sail between Athens and Istanbul, with overnight stays in both cities. Guests looking for an extended experience in the region can choose a longer versions of the itinerary, including the 15-day Ancient Adriatic Treasures, which sails between Venice and Istanbul; the 15-day Ancient Mediterranean Antiquities, which sails between Rome and Istanbul; the 22-day Iconic Mediterranean Treasures, which sails between Barcelona and Istanbul; or the 29-day Mediterranean’s Iconic Shores, which also sails between Barcelona and Istanbul and includes stops in Montenegro and Croatia.
Beginning in April 2021 and sailing on Viking’s award-winning 930-guest all-veranda Viking Sky®, guests embarking on the new Ancient Mediterranean Treasures itinerary or its longer combination cruise options will witness the origin of civilization while cruising the fabled Aegean Sea. Highlights of the new itinerary include:
- Istanbul, Turkey: Guests begin their journey with an overnight stay in Istanbul, allowing more time to explore the iconic city. Guests can visit a wealth of religious sites including the “Blue Mosque” one of the city’s most recognizable sites, watch the mesmerizing whirling dervishes perform at a local venue, or participate in a centuries-old tradition at a hammam, a Turkish bath. Plus, Viking’s Privileged Access® offers guests the chance to tour the legendary Hagia Sofia free of crowds.
- Troy (Çanakkale), Turkey: Guests can explore the nearby well-preserved ruins of Troy, most remembered as the setting of the Trojan War, described by Homer in the Iliad, or visit the nearby Battlefields of Gallipoli, the tranquil memorial site of one of World War I’s longest and deadliest battles.
- Ephesus (Ku?adasi), Turkey: One of the best-preserved cities of antiquity in the world, Ephesus is rich in history and ancient relics. While in port, guests can visit the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, walk through the Byzantine Basilica of St. John, or visit the modest home where, according to legend, the Virgin Mary lived out her final days.
- Rhodes, Greece: While on the island of Rhodes, guests can explore within the city walls of Old Town, Europe’s largest active medieval town and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, learn about island culture through a visit to a traditional village home, or head to one of the island’s scenic mountaintops for sweeping views of the island and the Turkish coast.
- Heraklion, Greece: Located on the island of Crete, Heraklion boasts millennia-old history and was once the strongest fortified city in the Eastern Mediterranean. Guests can take in archeological splendors whose history is interwoven with the legends of Greek mythology, including the Palace of Knossos and the village of Arolithos, or explore the ruins of the Minoans, Europe’s oldest recorded civilization.
- Athens, Greece: The journey concludes with an overnight stay in Athens, known as “the birthplace of democracy,” where guests can witness iconic sites such as the Hellenic Parliament, the Panathenaic Stadium, the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the mighty Parthenon atop the Acropolis. Viking also offers guests Privileged Access to the Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation’s exhibit on British naval icon Vice Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson and the chance to tour a reconstructed ancient Athenian warship, the Olympias, once the dominant warship on the Mediterranean Sea from the 7th to 4th centuries BC.
For a link to all 38 of Viking’s Mediterranean cruise offerings, CLICK HERE.
The Best Way to Book Viking Ocean and River Cruises
If you’re ready to book one of these exciting new Mediterranean ocean cruises, you can certainly call Viking direct. They have an army of young folks in their call centers ready to help you make your booking.
Or, we welcome you to call us directly and we will help you make your Viking cruise booking. We have grown to become the #2 booking agent for Viking in the world and we can offer you these privileges:
- Highly personalized service: Rather than calling into a call center and getting a different person every time, and likely getting advice from some very nice person who likely doesn’t even own a passport, you can call us. We’ve built strong relationships with Viking, we’ve been on their ships, and we’ve been in most of these ports. We can bring you expert, first-hand knowledge.
- The price is the same: That’s right. Make your booking with Viking or make your Viking booking through us. The price is exactly the same.
- VIP Air Booking: We bring you complimentary and personalized service when it comes time to book your air with Viking. And, we will get your tickets booked many months ahead of the crowd. This gives you a choice when it comes time to pick the airline and the routes. We do the work. You have the fun!
- Perks: Mention this article and we will add $100/person in shipboard credits to your booking when you book with us. You can use this money towards optional shore excursion, cocktails on the ship, or you can even use it towards the gratuities aboard ship.
So, are you ready? If you find yourself uncertain about which of these cruises to enjoy, what time of the year to take your cruise, or even which stateroom is best for you, give me a call. I’m most happy to share my experience and expertise with you.
For more information or to book a Viking cruise, please call Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235 or use our convenient online information request (click here) and we’ll reach out to you.
Lastly, here is a valuable article I have written that you might enjoy: How to Choose the Right Stateroom on a Viking Ocean Cruise
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our travel newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.
Roaming Boomers Travel Services is an Independent Affiliate of Cadence, a Virtuoso® member. CST#201120-40