Travel Update: COVID-19 Coronavirus
This week’s Travel Update: COVID-19 Coronavirus brings sweeping change since our last update.
On Wednesday night, we received a personal email from a Viking VP that they were temporarily suspending operations.
With increasing port closing, airline restrictions, and concerns for the health of their crew and passengers, the action was necessary.
Therefore, Viking suspended all operations worldwide through April 30, 2020. You can read about it at this link.
And this morning, my email inbox is filled with other travel brands following suit.
What to Do About the COVID-19 Coronavirus
- Don’t Panic. Those travel brands that have suspended operations have offered attractive options. Affected travelers will generally have two options:
- Receive a full cash refund
- or accept a future cruise voucher with a financial inducement to rebook at a later date. This is an attractive offer, as many are offering vouchers up to 125%. We are finding our clients rebooking and upgrading their staterooms and airline seating using these vouchers.
- Don’t Overreact. Overseas travel plans booked for March and April have become very problematic and should likely be canceled. However, if you have travel plans for May, June, or July, don’t overreact to what is happening right now. We don’t know how this is going to play out. And, if this virus becomes stubborn and extends farther into the year, you may find travel brands continuing to cancel. So, if you can, sit tight on those May, June, and July travel plans. There is no need to act today. We have several clients who pulled the trigger to rebook next year only to find that their cruise line canceled their sailing and offered more attractive rebooking options.
- Take a peek into 2021. Having said all of this, you might want to look into 2021 to check availability. 2021 ocean and river cruise have been selling well. With the influx of people wanting to rebook from 2020 to 2021, space is beginning to fill up.
- Ignore the Hysteria. Social media platforms are full of nonsense, conspiracy theories, and just plain wrong information. I don’t think the world is coming to an end. And I highly doubt that all of the airlines and cruise lines will be filling for bankruptcy. These companies have been doing very well for years. They are all highly capitalized. And, if this were to become prolonged, the Federal Government has already pledged to step in to help. So, ignore the hysteria and go for a walk or read a good book.
- Stay informed. We live in Scottsdale, Arizona, and I’m fortunate to have the Mayo Clinic as my health organization. To read the latest update from the folks at Mayo Clinic, CLICK HERE.
As I said last week, at some point, the COVID-19 Coronavirus will be in the rearview mirror.
Therefore, our travel prescription of the day is to rebook your March and April overseas travel plans and start dreaming about where you want to visit later this year or next.
For more information about our services, please call Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235 or use our convenient online information request (click here), and we’ll reach out to you.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our travel newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.
Roaming Boomers Travel Services is an Independent Affiliate of Cadence, a Virtuoso® member. CST#201120-40