Travel Questions: COVID-19 Update
Update: travel questions about the COVID-19 coronavirus have been pouring into our office.
We did make a fair number of new bookings this week.
However, most of our energies were spent answering questions and rebooking travel plans for those traveling in the next month or two.
A lot has changed since our last update. Let me bring you up to speed.
What to Do About the COVID-19 Coronavirus in Europe
- The travel industry has your back. By the first of the week, every travel brand responded with a “cancel for any reason” offer. The offers vary, but travelers were given the ability to cancel and rebook their travel plans to a later date. Kudos to the travel industry!
- Be informed. 24/7 media coverage makes things difficult and lends to a fair amount of hysteria. First and foremost, be informed. Learn how to protect yourself. To read an updated article on the COVID-19 from Mayo Clinic, CLICK HERE.
- Keep it in perspective. We should all stay abreast of this situation. However, 29,000 people have died of the flu this year in the U.S. This dwarfs the COVID-19 coronavirus issue. Therefore, be aware, but don’t panic. Note to self: get a flu shot.
- Don’t Overreact. If your travel plans have you visiting an area with a high concentration of the COVID-19 coronavirus in March or April, then perhaps re-booking is in order. However, if your travel plans have you visiting Europe in May or beyond, let things play out a bit. It is very likely that you now have a “cancel for any reason” offer from your travel brand. Therefore, wait until you are within 30-days from traveling before you pull the “cancel for any reason” trigger. There is no reason to hurry.
- Confidently book new travel. New travel bookings have slowed to a snail’s pace. I get it. People are concerned. However, to promote new bookings, travel brands have all offered a “cancel for any reason” offer on all new bookings. These are generally available for new bookings made by April 30, 2020. This gives you the confidence to know that you can cancel and rebook your travel plans if this or any other reason arises to make you want to cancel.
- Be Patient. Our phones have been lit up all week. We are prioritizing our energies to those who have the most urgent need. But please know, we are here to help you navigate this maze, and we won’t ignore a single one of you.
- This too will pass. The travel industry has endured many challenges in the past. While this is difficult right now, this will all be in the rearview mirror at some point in the future. Therefore, don’t let this virus rain on your parade. Is a grand Mediterranean ocean cruise, one of the popular European river cruises, or perhaps a land European land journey is on our bucket list? Then book it now and take advantage of the “cancel for any reason” offers in the marketplace. 🙂
How to Stay Current About the Coronavirus
To help you keep current on the coronavirus, here are some helpful links:
The secret is out: it doesn’t cost you any more money to book travel with a trusted and expert travel advisor. Therefore, with that being the case, why would you plan your dream vacation on your own?
When problems arise, a travel advisor will have your back.
And, because of our affiliation with Cadence and the Virtuoso Travel Network, we have complimentary VIP perks to share with our clients.
For more information or to book your next exciting vacation, please call Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235 or use our convenient online information request (click here) and we’ll reach out to you.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our travel newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.
Roaming Boomers Travel Services is an Independent Affiliate of Cadence, a Virtuoso® member. CST#201120-40
Virtuoso® is the leading international travel agency network specializing in luxury and experiential travel. This by-invitation-only organization comprises over 1,000 travel agency partners with 20,000 elite travel advisors in 50 countries throughout North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Africa and the Middle East. Drawing upon its preferred relationships with over 1,800 of the world’s best hotels and resorts, cruise lines, airlines, tour companies and premier destinations, the network provides its upscale clientele with exclusive amenities, rare experiences and privileged access. More than (U.S.) $26.4 billion in annual travel sales makes Virtuoso a powerhouse in the luxury travel industry.