The Shocking Truth About Your Smartphone’s GPS
Win a Garmin GPS App! See below…
Like a complete dingbat, I assumed that I was going to simply input the address into my iPhone and it would magically guide me to my destination.
The reality was, I was driving in eight lanes of very busy traffic trying to find my destination whilst trying to follow a stupid little blue dot on Google Maps.
Never mind the fact that it was ridiculously dangerous taking my eyes off the busy highway while trying to follow the blue dot and frantically taking my reading glass on and off my head.
People were honking horns at me, I missed three turns, and I certainly could have caused an accident.
So, the shocking truth about your smartphone’s GPS is that it sucks!
Let’s explore the GPS functions on the three major platforms:
- Apple’s iOS5 – We just discussed that. You’re going to use Google Maps and try to follow the little blue ball.
- Windows Phone 7.5 – This isn’t much better. The difference is, you’re going to use Bing Maps instead.
- Google’s Android – Google gets the prize for the best on-board GPS because its integration with Google Maps will give you turn-by-turn voice navigation. However, the interface is very clunky. There have been countless times where Carol had completely given up trying to find the voice navigation using our former Droids. Plus it lacked all the much-loved visuals of our Garmin GPS
Now, let’s be clear, having a GPS activated map is a wonderful thing. But, trying to use it while solo driving is a dangerous thing!
After my Los Angeles experience, we had decided to buy another Garmin GPS device until I read that Garmin had just recently bought a German company who have a beautiful smartphone GPS app.
Not really wanting to carry around my iPhone and a separate Garmin device, I checked out their new app and fell in love.
The $ 29.99 Garmin Navigon Mobile Navigator App is available for Apple, Windows, and Android devices.
Let me share with you some of the features of my new Garmin Navigon Mobil Navigator:
- Maps – First off, large beautiful maps with turn-by-turn voice navigation.
- Weather Live – It shows you the current weather report along your route, as well as at your destination. And so there are no unpleasant surprises during your stay, it also gives you a two-day forecast, too.
- Clever Parking – Find parking garages in large cities with one click.
- Full iOS Support – The program can run in the background if you need to answer the phone.
- Active Lane Assistant – In busy traffic, know ahead of time which lane you should be in.
- Traffic Live – If there’s a mess ahead, you will know it ahead of time.
- Text to Speech – Street names and exits are called out by their own names.
- Speed Assistant – Navigon knows the posted speed limit. If you exceed the legal limit, Navigon will let you know.
- POI – there are thousands of “points of interest” integrated into the app.
- SOS/Direct Help – With the touch of a button, Navigon will connect you with the closest gas station, police station, hospital, or pharmacy.
There’s a whole host of other features, but I’ll let you check them out on the Garmin Navigon website. Suffice it to say, Mr. Roaming Boomer is a happy man now that I have a Garmin Navigon GPS App on my iPhone. Happy dance. Happy dance.
Note: while using your phone as a GPS device, you will want to have a car charger along for the ride. While in GPS mode, your phone will eat your battery fairly quickly.
Win a FREE Garmin GPS App for Your Smartphone
We love our Garmin Mobile Navigator App so much that we asked and received 5 FREE apps (US Maps) to give away to you from Garmin!
The contest is open to US residents, 18 years of age or older. Further, the app is available for Android, Windows, and Apple iOS platforms. Other smartphone platforms are not available. Only one entry per person.
To enter, leave a comment below that fills in this blank:
- A Garmin Mobile Navigator App on my smartphone would help me because ________
The contest will end Friday, December 23rd, at 5:00 pm MST.
Check back with this post on Friday. We will pick five random winners and notification will be made to their comment in this post.