Top 5 Pick: The Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
And while we certainly can’t say that we’ve yet to visit every luxury travelers’ dream destination, nothing could prepare us for the mind-boggling, gobsmaking, jaw-dropping beauty we found at the Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora.
For some inexplicable reason, if you were to ask me the exotic destination that for 55 years was at the top of my bucket list, my answer would immediately and unreservedly be Bora Bora. Perhaps this desire stemmed from watching the musical South Pacific with my parents as a child, or simply from a hodgepodge of information tucked away in my cerebrum over the years.
One of our most remarkable destination resort stays!
Bora Bora is an island in the Leeward group of the Society Islands of French Polynesia in the south Pacific. British explorer Captain James Cook landed on the island in 1770, but today the island is a protectorate of the French Republic.
In the center of the island of Bora Bora lies the remnants of an extinct volcano rising to two peaks, with the highest reaching 2,385ft. The island is then completely surrounded by a stunningly beautiful lagoon and coral reef (motu).
Remarkably, the climate remains from 85º F (high) to 75º F (low) all year-round. However, you’ll want to pay attention to Bora Bora’s rainy season. Most of Bora Bora’s rain falls during the summer months (November – April). We arrived in a shoulder season (May) and were blessed with beautiful sunshine every single day.
The Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora sits on a private motu (coral reef) a short boat ride from the airport. Because the island is completely surrounded by coral reef, the calm interior turquoise waters remain a delightful temperature for swimming year-round as these waters are only generally 8-10 feet deep.
Our Favorite Memories From Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
While I could probably write an entire book about the three nights we spent at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, I’ll try hard to keep the list manageable enough for you to peruse in one setting. Here we go:
- We will never, ever, ever forget the view of Bora Bora from the plane. While not as dramatic as the photo from space (above), I swear (well, not really) that our plane tipped sideways from people trying to look out the left side of the plane at the stunning landscape coming into view.
- We will always remember the boat ride from the airport to the Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora. We were greeted with flowers to put around our necks, a tropical drink, beautiful smiling staff, and a beautiful boat, decked out with teak to whisk us away, through unbelievably beautiful turquoise waters to the resort.
- Pulling up to the Four Seasons dock and finding ourselves surrounded by 100 over-water bungalows.
- The giddy child-like feeling of being driven to our own private over-water bungalow. We couldn’t wait for the bellman to get out of our room so that we could run around our bungalow to explore. The furnishing were world-class. There was a soaking-tub next to a large picture window overlooking the beautiful turquoise waters. Interspersed throughout the bungalow were glass rectangles in the floor that looked down into the turquoise waters. Outside, we had a private shaded table to enjoy a quiet breakfast over the lagoon, a semi-private deck for sunbathing, a ladder down to the cool waters of the lagoon, and, at night, we enjoyed beautiful under-side lighting of the bungalow to make it glow in the evening’s moonlight.
- The resort offered dining in four restaurants, in-bungalow dining, or even a romantic candlelight dinner on the beach. The French and Polynesian fusion of the cuisine in Ari Moana was awesome, but our best memories were enjoying drinks and dinner at the Sunset Restaurant and Bar. We enjoyed sunset dinners two out of the three nights of our stay.
- The beach. How on earth do I even begin to describe the beach with letters and spaces. Imagine a clear blue sky, perfect beach temperatures, a cool ocean breeze, white sugary sand, palm trees blowing in the wind, an ancient volcano in the background with scores of over-water bungalows hovering over the most incredible turquoise waters you could ever hope to feast your eyes on. Then, imagine yourself luxuriating under a thatch-roofed umbrella with a smiling beach-boy bringing you water every half-hour, serving you lunch on the beach, and making absolutely certain that your every wish was fulfilled. Unbelievable!
- Our couples massage. Towards the back of the motu, the Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora’s spa sits upon a small bluff looking out over the edge of the coral reef to the deep-blue ocean with its waves crashing upon the white coral-lined beach. The soothing music, the ocean breeze, my wife on the adjoining table, and the oh-so-expert hands massaging my every care away. Before our hour was over, I was like a pool of melted butter. Ahhhhhh!
- The pink sunrises in the mornings, and the yellow-orange sunsets in the evening.
You know, people ask us all the time, “where is your favorite destination?” As it is very, very difficult to answer that question, we typically respond with, “our next destination”. But, if you come in close, so that I can whisper in your ear …. Pssst. I think Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora just might be our favorite destination resort to date.
We give it our absolute highest recommendation and strongly urge you to get Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora on your bucket list!
Disclosure: our wondrous experience was provided by our gracious hosts at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!