Dr. Beach’s Top 10 American Beaches 2012
Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman (aka Dr. Beach), described as America’s foremost beach expert, has just released his 22nd annual Top 10 Beach List.
Coming in at the number one spot is California’s Coronado Beach.
Dr. Beach’s Top 10 American Beaches
- Coronado Beach San Diego, California
- Kahanamoku Beach Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
- Main Beach East Hampton, New York
- St. George Island State Park Florida panhandle
- Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Waimanalo Bay Beach Park Oahu, Hawaii
- Cape Florida State Park Key Biscayne, Florida
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
I captured this photograph of a hesitant little girl on Coronado Beach when we made our visit to the historic Hotel Del Coronado nearly two years ago.
We too marveled at this beach.
Because the beach has mica present in the sand, it literally twinkles like millions of little diamonds in the sun. The beach is 1.5 miles long. Its wide white sand provides an excellent place for swimmers, surfers, sunbathers, and beachcombers.
Just after breakfast, we witnessed an army of families arriving toting their umbrellas, beach towels, sand toys for the kids, and picnic coolers with intentions of spending a whole day playing in the sun, sand, and surf.
To keep things safe, there is a large team of surf guards standing in their towers as well as patrolling the beach in 4×4 vehicles. Plus, as an extra little benefit, you’ll enjoy watching helicopters, jets, and transport planes flying around from the nearby naval base.
Have you been to any of the beaches listed on Dr. Beach’s Top 10 American Beaches?
If you enjoyed this article, please follow us at our website, our Facebook page, and on Twitter. Original article link: http://www.theroamingboomers.com/our-stay-at-san-diegos-historic-hotel-del-coronado/