Where to Eat on the Big Island of Hawaii
Deciding where to eat on the Big Island of Hawaii can be a daunting task. There are many, many wonderful options. Our list is not designed to provide a definitive ranking, but is rather more driven by the geography of our particular trip.
Furthermore, to aid you in locating our choices, we have prepared for you a custom Google Map giving you the specific locations for our 10 choices.
Here’s the list as presented on our Where to Eat on the Big Island of Hawaii Google Map:
- Brown’s Beach House Restaurant – this is an incredibly romantic restaurant right on the ocean, and serves up an incredible meal and dining experience.
- The Canoe House Restaurant – another romantic setting right on the ocean with wonderful fine dining fare.
- Tommy Bahamas Tropical Cafe – great fresh fish in a casual setting. You can grab yourself a new shirt on the way out.
- Roy’s Restaurant – a perennial favorite of ours. Fish with a Hawaiian Fusion.
- Cafe Pesto – an island favorite for creative fresh fish, and local fare. We ate in both of their locations in Kawaihae and Hilo.
- Bamboo Restaurant – this is located in the little fishing town of Hawi. My Thai fish salad was out of this world.
- Merriman’s Restaurant – outstanding fine dining restaurant in the town of Waimea. A three-time finalist in the prestigious James Beard Awards for Best Chef, Pacific Northwest and Hawaii.
- Daniel Thiebaut Restaurant – we had dinner here as well as Sunday brunch. A great Sunday brunch at only $22/person!
- Huli Sue’s BBQ and Grill – a great place for lunch. Wonderful BBQ, and a must if you like banana cream pie.
- Hilo Bay Cafe – a wonderful fine dining find. We greatly enjoyed this meal. Very friendly folks.
Also, if you happen to be in Waimea on a Saturday, be certain to check out the farmer’s market. Here you will find the island’s famous bread chef, world renown goat cheese, fresh crepes to die for, and a whole host of other fresh island fruits, coffee, and goodies.
Well, there’s the list. I am certain you will enjoy. If you check out one of these places, please leave us a comment and share your experience!