We Visit Ventana Big Sur in California
Ventana Inn & Spa ~ Big Sur, California – The Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort is situated on 243 acres, 1,200 feet above the Pacific Ocean on California’s Central Coast and is renowned for its tranquil setting, rustic sophistication and romantic allure.
The land was originally owned by the Post family, which built a home that housed several future generations and still stands today at the entrance to Ventana Inn & Spa. Writer Lawrence A. Spector built the Inn in 1975 with the money he earned in the late 1960s from the film, “Easy Rider.” The famed Inn became the haven of movie stars such as Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw, and remains a favorite for those who come to relax rather than be seen.
Ventana Inn & Spa has 60 spacious rooms and suites, each with private balcony or patio and valley, mountain or distant ocean views.
Here’s a few of their most recent awards:
- “Top 100 Hotels” – Conde Nast Traveler, November, 2010
- “Fodor’s Choice Gold Award Winner – Top 10 Most Romantic Hotels,” 2010
- “Reader’s Choice Award Winner – Top 20 U.S. Hideaways” – Andrew Harper, 2010
We made our first trip to Ventana Inn & Spa several years ago for a special wedding anniversary intimate hideaway and we both instantly agreed that a return visit with our The Roaming Boomers® hats on was a no-brainer.
Here are a few things that make Ventana Inn & Spa a special place in our minds:
- The setting 1.200 feet above the ocean offers incredible long range views and remarkable sunsets.
- They have perfectly blended together the setting, the resort’s rustic architecture, and with oodles of folks walking around in their spa robes, you can feel the lure of relaxation and romance.
- With a large fire roaring in the fireplace, The Restaurant at Ventana features an excellent menu joyously gorged with local ingredients, a great wine list, and offers a perfect ending to a day of exploration around Big Sur. However, lunch at the restaurant is also a must. On the outside patio you will enjoy magnificent panoramas of the countryside along with the Pacific Ocean 1.200 feet below as you sit under umbrellas and enjoy perhaps a plate of enchiladas and a freshly made mojito.
- Ventana Inn & Spa features two separate pools and Japanese bath areas. For those of you who are so inclined to enjoy a pool and hot tube “in the buff”, then Ventana’s renowned clothing-optional pool might just be your ticket. For those like us, who are a bit more shy about showing our junk, then Ventana has another complete pool and bath area where those sensitive areas are required to be kept hidden behind a bit of cloth.
- There is scant ambient light surrounding Ventana Inn at night. Therefore, viewing the stars from the open-roofed Japanese baths is absolutely amazing. Carol and I spent over an hour one night staring open-mouthed as we ogled the night sky counting shooting stars. As we sat in the 45º night air in our bath robes, we simply hopped into the hot baths to warm ourselves when we felt a chill. A most wonderful experience with my bride of 25 years!
Book Ventana Big Sur with our Virtuoso Perks
We wrote this article ten years ago, but now that we own a travel agency, we have complimentary VIP perks for you.
When you book a stay at Ventana Big Sur with Roaming Boomers Travel, you will enjoy the following complimentary amenities:
- Upgrade at time of booking, subject to availability
- Full breakfast daily for two guests per bedroom (up to $30 per person credit daily)
- $100 USD Hotel/Resort credit to be used during stay excluding retail (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
- Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Online booking 24/7. Click the link above.
For booking information, click the link above or call Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235. Or, use our convenient online information request (click here) and we’ll reach out to you.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our travel newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.
Roaming Boomers Travel Services is an Independent Affiliate of Cadence, a Virtuoso® member. CST#201120-40