We Spend a Night in a Yurt at Treebones Resort in Big Sur, California
Well, the original yurt was a portable circular tent-like structure that was built around a wooden lattice-frame and provided shelter for nomadic peoples of Central Asia.
In this case, our Treebones Resort yurt maintained the same wooden lattice-frame but was wrapped with heavy tent material, featured a clear sky-dome to watch the stars, was affixed to a permanent cement foundation, and featured a comfortable bed, table and chairs, a couch, a sink, and even a gas-burning fireplace.
My friends, this is glamorous camping. Or, as some would say, glamping!
Here are a few things that we really enjoyed about our Treebones Resort yurt glamping experience:
- The stunning cliff-side setting overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
- The feeling of tent camping but the luxury of a comfortable bed, fireplace, and other amenities generally not associated with camping.
- Watching the stars at night through the clear dome in our yurt.
- Although it was 50º outside during the night, our fireplace kept us nice and cozy.
- With no ambient light, the Big Sur nighttime skies were absolutely incredible to witness.
- Having two chefs and two different restaurant options was completely unexpected. There was Executive Chef Michael Wood cooking delightful things in the Treebones Wild Coast Restaurant and Sushi Chef Carlos-san was preparing fresh sushi at the outdoor sushi bar. Imagine a sushi bar with unobstructed ocean views! Wowzaaa!
- Hearing the barking California sea lions down on the beach.
- The glow of the moon at 3:00 a.m. when I got up for the third time to admire the starry skies.
- Home-made waffles for breakfast at the Wild Coast Restaurant.
- The completely laid-back atmosphere.
- The ocean view from our yurt-side deck.
- I suppose some might think that having the shower and bathroom a very short walk away from your yurt is a problem. But for us, this was a minuscule inconvenience in comparison to the joy received.
You know, I love luxury travel. But this glamping experience will go down as a favorite experience and another item checked off my bucket-list.
We both are looking forward to another glamping stay in the near future.
We both give the Treebones Resort major sky-high thumbs up!