Virtuoso® Names 2015 “Best of the Best” Award Nominees
Not too long ago, Carol and I were in Paris staying at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. As it turns out, their restaurant Ducasse has been nominated for a Virtuoso® “Best of the Best” Award in the Best Culinary Experience category.
I snagged a photograph of the restaurant (right) before we entered for breakfast. The place looks straight out of a fairytale, doesn’t it? We’ll never forget our breakfast experience there, and we can definitely concur that this restaurant is worth a visit. Sadly, we were unable to get an evening reservation. So, moral to the story? Book early!
To take a peek at the rest of the nominees on Virtuoso’s Best of the Best list, take a peek at their press release below.
Virtuoso Best of the Best Nominees
NEW YORK, June 19, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Virtuoso, the international network of luxury travel agencies, has announced the nominees for its prestigious Best of the Best awards, which recognizes the industry’s top properties and hoteliers.
The network’s famed Hotels & Resorts Program consists of more than 1,000 hotels, resorts, villas, and private-island retreats in 100 countries, including more five-star properties than any other travel organization. Established in 1992, Virtuoso’s is the industry’s longest-running hospitality program and offers its clients the most advantageous benefits at an average of $450 per stay.
The Best of the Best nominees represent the highest standard in their given category as only 50 properties are under consideration for the awards.
Editors of VIRTUOSO LIFE, the network’s exclusive award-winning magazine, reviewed numerous member nominations and researched hundreds of properties to select the nominees.
Winners will be revealed at the Hotels & Resorts Dinner on August 12, 2015, during the 27th annual Virtuoso Travel Week event. Taking place at Bellagio Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, August 8-14, 2015, Virtuoso Travel Week brings together thousands of member travel advisors – considered the leaders in creating luxury experiences – and the world’s best travel providers to participate in the industry’s preeminent event. Virtuoso’s travel advisors lend their expertise to the voting process as they determine winners for each category. VIRTUOSO LIFE will feature the Best of the Best winners in the magazine’s September/October 2015 issue.
“Although it is never easy selecting this year’s Best of the Best nominees from among our valued portfolio, just garnering a nomination is an achievement in itself. We’re pleased to announce the 50 partners that specifically excel in a number of categories from design and culinary to innovative guest experience and spa,” said Albert Herrera, Senior Vice President, Global Products Partnerships for Virtuoso.
For more information, visit www.virtuoso.com.
Best Achievement in Design
- Mandarin Oriental, Taipei, Taiwan
- The Ritz-Carlton Kyoto, Japan
- InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort, Vietnam
- Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills, Japan
Best Culinary Experience
- View, Flames & Cellar Door, Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Ducasse, Hotel Plaza Athenee, Dorchester Collection, Paris, France
- The Krug Room, Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong, China
- Epicure, Le Bristol Paris, France
- The Dining Room, Wheatleigh, Lennox, Massachusetts, USA
- The Jazz Bar, Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai, China
- Tower Bar, Sunset Tower Hotel, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Connaught Bar, Connaught, London, UK
- The Long Bar, Raffles Hotel Singapore, Singapore
- The Bar, Baccarat New York, New York, USA
Best Family Program
- Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort, Florida, USA
- “Ritz Kids,” The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage, California, USA
- “Kijana Kids Club,” Four Seasons Safari Lodge, Serengeti, Tanzania
- “The Kite Flyers Club,” The St. Regis Bali Resort, Bali, Indonesia
- Claridge’s, London, UK
- Dolder Grand Spa, The Dolder Grand, Zürich, Switzerland
- Sense, A Rosewood Spa, Rosewood Mayakoba, Rivera Maya, Mexico
- Vinotherapie Spa, Les Sources de Caudalie, Martillac, France
- Gaia Retreat & Spa, New South Wales, Australia
- Jiva Spa Boat, Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, India
Most Innovative Guest Experience
- Corcovado Experience, Belmond Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Cloud Biking, Mashpi Lodge, Mashpi Reserve, Ecuador
- Curiosity Retreats, Gateway Canyons Resort, Colorado, USA
- Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai, UAE
- The Peninsula Beverly Hills, California, USA
Sustainable Tourism Leadership
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, Peru
- Post Ranch Inn, Big Sur, California, USA
- The Brando, French Polynesia
- The Peninsula Tokyo, Japan
- UXUA Casa Hotel and Spa, Trancosco, Brazil
One to Watch
- The Chedi Andermatt, Switzerland
- Lizard Island, Cairns, Australia
- Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, UK
- La Reserve Paris, France
- Rosewood Beijing, China
Hotelier of the Year
- Antonio Sersale, Le Sirenuse, Positano, Italy
- George Cohen, Saxon Hotel, Villas & Spa, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Martein van Wagenberg, Le Guanahani, Saint Barthelemy
- Samuel Leizorek, Las Alcobas, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Mexico City, Mexico
- Giuseppe Lama, The Resort at Pelican Hill, Newport Coast, California, USA
Hotel of the Year
- Ashford Castle, County Mayo, Galway, Ireland
- The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India
- Finca Cortesin Hotel, Golf & Spa, Andalucia, Spain
- Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin, Germany
- One&Only Palmilla, San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico
Virtuoso® is the leading network of luxury travel advisors and entities. This by-invitation-only organization comprises over 355 agencies with more than 9,000 elite travel specialists in 26 countries throughout North America, Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia-Pacific and Europe, as well as over 1,700 of the world’s best travel providers and premier destinations. The network’s member agencies generate over (US) $14 billion annually in travel sales, making the group the most powerful in the luxury travel segment. Their relationships with the finest travel companies provide the network’s affluent clientele with exclusive amenities, rare experiences and privileged access. For more information, visit www.virtuoso.com.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our monthly newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.