Top 10 Reasons to Visit the Galapagos Islands
Top 10 Reasons to Visit the Galapagos Islands
Let me share the top 10 reasons to visit the Galapagos Islands.
In the not-too-distant future, Carol and I will be jetting off to the Galapagos Islands.
If you’re not familiar, “the Galapagos Islands area is situated in the Pacific Ocean some 1,000 km from the Ecuadorian coast. This archipelago and its immense marine reserve is known as the unique ‘living museum and showcase of evolution.’
Its geographical location at the confluence of three ocean currents makes it one of the richest marine ecosystems in the world. The ongoing seismic and volcanic activity reflects the processes that formed the islands. These processes, together with the extreme isolation of the islands, led to the development of unusual plant and animal life – such as marine iguanas, flightless cormorants, giant tortoises, huge cacti, endemic trees, and the many different subspecies of mockingbirds and finches – all of which inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection following his visit in 1835.” (via UNESCO).
Expedition Cruises: A New Travel Megatrend
Expedition cruising is a coming megatrend. According to Cruise Industry News, there were 63 expedition ships in the water in 2020. Remarkably, that number will grow to 107 by the end of 2023.
Folks, that is 44 new expedition ships offering guests the ability to explore remote regions of the world in 5-stary luxury.
For our first expedition voyage, we’ve chosen to sail with one of the pioneers of luxury expedition cruises: Silversea Expeditions.
In the Galapagos Islands, they have a brand-new purpose-built ship: Silver Origin.
We will be sharing a lot more information about Silversea and their new ship, but for now, let’s focus on why you should consider a journey to the Galapagos Islands.
Top 10 Reasons to Visit the Galápagos Islands
- Luxury Expedition Ships: It is now possible to enjoy a 5-star floating hotel that is purpose-built for the Galapagos Islands.
- Easy Flights: We are flying from Phoenix to Miami (four hours), and then Miami to Quito (four hours). We will be spending two nights in Quito, Ecuador, and then a three-hour flight to our ship.
- Small Ships – If you know our company, we quit booking large-ship cruise lines a number of years ago. We don’t like them, and neither do our clients. The Silver Origin holds a maximum of 100 guests with a supporting crew of 90. Ecuador doesn’t allow large ships in the Galapagos Islands, and we think it would be obscene if they did. We like small ships, and the Silver Origin is small-ship par excellence.
- Up Close and Personal: The animals in the Galapagos Islands have never experienced humans as predators. Therefore, it is not uncommon to snorkel with penguins, sea lions, and sea turtles. And, the same is true on land.
- A Year-round Destination: The Galapagos Islands’ proximity to the equator makes this destination available all year long.
- Fresh Seafood: If you’re a seafood lover, then plan on a potpourri of fresh seafood and fresh ceviche.
- Darwin’s Footsteps: If you’re one that believes in evolution, then this is where it all started with Charles Darwin.
- Unspoiled Ecosystems: Most of the islands are uninhabited today, with 97% of the archipelago set aside as a strictly regulated national park with UNESCO creds to go along with it.
- No Crowds: No, dear friends, no crowds. Just you and the animals. Unlike other destinations, you won’t find mega-cruise ships dumping thousands of tourists in port.
- Take the Grandkids: This is a wonderful destination to bring the grandkids along. They will build memories to last a lifetime.
- Bonus Tip: If you’re a travel photographer, you’re going to love the Galapagos Islands.
If the Galapagos Islands is on your bucket list, give us a call to explore the available options.
We are cruise experts, and in a few weeks, we will be able to add the Galapagos Islands to our repertoire of expertise.
For more information or to book a fun expedition cruise to the Galapagos Islands, please call Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235 or use our convenient online information request (click here) and we’ll reach out to you.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our travel newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.
Roaming Boomers Travel Services is an Independent Affiliate of Cadence, a Virtuoso® member. CST#201120-40
Virtuoso® is the leading global travel agency network specializing in luxury and experiential travel. This by-invitation-only organization comprises over 1,200 travel agency locations with more than 20,000 travel advisors in over 50 countries throughout North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Africa and the Middle East. Drawing upon its preferred relationships with more than 2,200 of the world’s best hotels and resorts, cruise lines, airlines, tour companies and premier destinations, the network provides its upscale clientele with exclusive amenities, rare experiences and privileged access. Normalized annual sales of (U.S.) $25–$30 billion make Virtuoso a powerhouse in the luxury travel industry. For more information, visit www.virtuoso.com.