The Boomers Roam to the Four Seasons Hualalai on Hawaii, the Big Island
Four Seasons Hualalai ~ Hawaii, the Big Island – As we continue our journey to scour the planet for resorts that will make a baby boomer’s heart go pitter-patter, once in a while we find one that is absolutely magnificent in every conceivable way.
The Four Seasons Hualalai is just such a resort.
From the moment we enjoyed warm towels and tropical punch at registration, until we sat gloomily in our room awaiting the bellman to whisk us away to our soon to be leaving rental car, we enjoyed luxury, pampering, world-class dining, stunning landscapes, outgoing and hospitable resort staff, and a location that was simply breath-taking.
Even as I write these words, there is a pining to be back at Four Seasons Hualalai, enjoying the beach and taking in the sight of my wife’s toes sticking out from under her canopied beach chair.
Take a look at the impressive list of awards amassed by the Four Seasons Hualalai:
- AAA Five Diamonds – Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (13 consecutive years)
- AAA Four Diamonds – Pahu i’a restaurant (11 consecutive years)
- Forbes Five Stars – Four Seasons Resort Hualalai(2 consecutive years)
- Forbes Four Stars – Hualalai Spa at Four Seasons Resort Hual?lai (7 consecutive years)
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Kaupulehu remains Hawaii’s first and only AAA Five-Diamond and Forbes Five-Star resort.
Further, Four Seasons Hualalai was named the #1 hotel in Hawaii, #1 hotel spain Hawaii and is included in the list of Top 100 Hotels Overall in Travel + Leisure’s 2010 World’s Best Awards readers’ poll.
There were a number of things that really stood out for us as we reflect on our visit to the Four Seasons Hualalai. One of them was the Beach Tree Restaurant.
Beach Tree is renowned for its signature style of “barefoot elegance”, is overseen by Chef de Cuisine Nick Mastrascusa – formerly of 57 restaurant at Four Seasons Hotel New York, and offers a menu featuring California cuisine with Italian influences.
This is gourmet cuisine where the very acceptable attire is flip-flops!
If I am completely honest with you, I was a little “pissy” that the Four Seasons was hosting us in what I thought was a fancy burger joint. Burgers and pizza are available at Beach Tree, but where I was completely mistaken was that Beach Tree is also an out-of-this-world, world-class gourmet restaurant set right on the beach!
My dear bride, after I took my first bite, gave me “the look” for being such a foodie snob.
Let me also say, that after my first bite, I was completely entralled with Chef Mastrascusa’s offerings.
We enjoyed a wonderful wine-paring with each course as we sampled Ahi Carpaccio, Gnocchi, Ox Tail Ragout, and the most incredible, stand on your table and scream for joy Veal Osso Bucco Lasagna. Unbelievable. I was such a dork for being “pissy” about the Beach Tree Restaurant. The food was EPIC!
Take a look at my Veal Osso Bucco Lasagna. Melt in your mouth, simmered for hours-on-end goodness! Holy thank God for the Italians Batman!
Our Favorite Four Seasons Hualalai Memories
- Well, obviously Beach Tree Restaurant! 🙂
- Hawaiian breezes blowing into our ocean-view room. Saweet!
- Snorkeling in King’s Pond, a 1.8-million gallon “aquarium” carved out of natural lava rock with over 3,000 tropical fish, including a spotted eagle ray.
- Sunsets over the ocean.
- Walking the beautiful 1/2-mile beach w/ moon and stars overhead.
- Laying on the beach in a covered chaise-lounge.
- Relaxing in the adults-only Palm Grove Pool. It’s set amidst a garden of palm trees, and features day beds, hammocks, and a heated saline/chlorine pool and whirlpool. Ahhhh!
- The contrast of ancient black lava rock with towering coconut palms, white sand beaches and the azure Pacific ocean. A photographers dream.
- Exploring the magnificently manicured grounds.
- Sitting in the wooden beach chairs with the wind in our faces as we watched the sun set.
- Viewing a 14,000 ft volcano over the lush green golf course.
- A smile and greeting from everyone on the staff.
The Four Seasons Hualalai easily climbs its way into one of our personal top-10 destination resorts. We highly recommend it, and can’t wait to return. Besides, I want some more of that Veal Osso Bucco Lasagna!
Disclosure: A portion of our experience was provided by the kind folks at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka’upulehu. Thanks! Further, a portion of our travel expenses were provided by the kind people of the State of Hawaii through their Visitors and Conventions Bureau. Thanks Hawaii!