Southwest Airlines Decides not to Participate in 2009 Airline Industry Slowdown
The Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) has just reported their statistics for 2009.
Here are a few of their statistics:
- The number of passengers was down 5.3%.
- The number of flights was down 6.6%.
- The #1 US airline was Southwest with over 101 million passengers.
- The #1 US airport was Atlanta with over 42 million passengers.
- Most airlines were down last year. Southwest was steady, where JetBlue and SkyWest both grew by 2.5%. However, Southwest has 5 times the number of passengers of JetBlue and SkyWest.
Here’s the question of the day: With the industry down 5%, how did passenger leader Southwest produce industry bucking results?