Romantic Wine Pairings for Girl Scout Cookies
Grab your picnic basket, a nice blanket, a nice bottle of wine … and a box of Girl Scout Cookies?
Kris Margerum, Wine Director at Napa Valley’s luxury hotel and Michelin-starred restaurant Auberge du Soleil, offers a wine-lover’s solution. “Even the simplest sweets can be paired with a fine wine,” said Margerum. He enjoys pairing confections with exquisite vintages. “They shape the flavor and take the simple experience of enjoying a cookie to an entirely new level of enjoyment.”
Margerum, a 25-year veteran of Auberge du Soleil, blind-tastes more than 100 wines a week to maintain Auberge du Soleil’s wine list of 1,500 selections, and offers after-dinner pairings of rare Madeiras and house-made chocolates at the inn’s restaurant.
He explored Auberge du Soleil’s 17,000-bottle cellar, for the perfect wines to complement selections from this year’s batch of Girl Scout goodies:
- Begin your pairing adventure with the Trefoils-Old Fashioned Shortbread paired with the 2007 Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs Sparkling Wine. The creamy richness of the shortbread is balanced by the fresh lively notes of the Sparkling Wine.
- Follow with Savannah Smiles paired with 2010 Dr. Loosen “Bernkasteler Lay” Riesling-Kabinett. “The lemon notes and powder sugar create an amazing match with this off-dry, high- acid white wine,” said Margerum.
- His favorite pairing is Dosidos-Peanut Butter Cremes with 2009 Schloss Gobelsburg Gobelsburger Zweigelt The light bodied and fruity Zweigelt paired with the Do-Si-Dos brings home the flavors of peanut butter & jelly.
- Thank U Berry Much cookies follow nicely with the 2009 Romililly Pinot Noir Russian River Valley.
- Dulce de Leche-Caramel cookies perfectly complement the 2006 Renwood “Grandmére” Zinfandel.
- Margerum suggests finishing with the three chocolate cookies, beginning with the Samoas and a Graham’s 20-Year Tawny Port. The coconut is an ideal blend with the oak-aged port, while the Noval Vintage Ruby Reserve Port is rich enough to match the chocolate and mint flavors of the popular Thin Mints.
- To guarantee a party-pleasing finale, Margerum pairs the Tagalongs-Peanut Butter Patties with the Rare Wine Company’s “Imperial-Old Reserve” Malmsey Maderia, because, Margerum added, “Nothing goes better with sweet Maderias than chocolate and nuts.”
We like the way this guy thinks.
We haven’t visited Auberge du Soleil yet, but it’s definitely on our list for when we return to finish our series on Napa Valley. If it’s anything like our visit to Encantado Resort and Spa in Sante Fe, then it’s certain to be another world-class experience.
Until then, let’s raise a glass and please pass the Girl Scout Cookies!
If you enjoyed this article, please follow us at our website, our Facebook page, and on Twitter. [tfg_social_share] Original article link: https://www.theroamingboomers.com/romantic-wine-pairings-for-girl-scout-cookies/