Product Review: Polar FT7 Fitness Training Computer
For the past two years, we have greatly enjoyed taking our readers to wondrous destinations.
We’ve shared with you some of the world’s most luxurious resorts, the cuisine from a few of the world’s best chefs, scenery that makes the jaw drop, and adventures certain to make memories for a lifetime.
Win a Polar FT7 Fitness Training Computer! See below…
However, on a far more personal note, all of this has caused Mr. Roaming Boomer’s waistline to grow to proportions never before seen. I must now do battle with my genetics, our new lifestyle of travel, and my untold hours of time spent sitting in a chair typing words like these on my computer’s monitor.
If you remember, back in September we were in Tucson learning healthy lifestyle habits from the folks at Canyon Ranch.
Confession: I’ve backslidden, I’m afraid. 😯
Well, in the spirit of onward and upward, the cool folks over at Polar have sent me this nifty, bright-red training computer to review.
The Polar FT7 Training Computer, is the perfect tool for baby boomer travelers who would like to keep a better eye on their fitness levels.
While disguised as a watch when not in use, this mild-mannered little computer, after programming in some basic information about yourself, will monitor your heart rate (coupled with an included heart-rate chest band) and report back to you some pretty cool information.
Here’s a short list of just some of the many features of this watch/training computer:
Body Measurement Features
- Average and maximum heart rate while training
- Based on preset target zones, the training computer will provide visual and audible alarms if you stray to high/low.
- Number of calories expended during training. You’ll understand how much work it takes to burn off that piece of Tiramisu from the night before.
- If you like, you can upload your recorded data to your computer through an optional Polar FlowLink.
- Polar Flowlink also gains you access to polarpersonaltrainer.com for even more training features.
- Even if you decide to forgo the optional Polar FlowLink, the training computer will store up to 99 sessions, and provide you a weekly history.
- Besides being your fitness companion, the Polar FT7 is a fully-functional watch loaded with features.
- The watch is water resistant to 30m. That makes it wonderful for swimming laps, or water aerobics.
My Recent Results
I’ve got about 10 sessions recorded on my Polar FT7, and have found it very easy to use, easy to read, and a motivational boost as I record my progress.
Just two days ago, Carol and I were out hiking one of the wonderful trails here in Scottsdale, Arizona. When we started our relatively short hike, I turned on my Polar FT7 and learned the following from our hike:
- Our hike was 1:18:53 in duration.
- I burned 603 calories on our hike.
- My average heart rate was 119.
- My maximum heart rate was 142.
- I was in the “fat burning” zone for 11:48.
- I was in the “fitness” zone for 1:06:54.
While fat burning is my primary motive at the moment, it seems that perhaps I should slow down a bit while climbing up the hills. Nonetheless, not only was the hike a wonderful experience, but I felt a sense of achievement when I saw that I had burned 603 calories.
Yabba Dabba Doo!
We intend to bring our Polar Training Computers along on every trip to help us keep motivated, informed, and moving forward in our fitness goals.
Win a Polar FT7 Fitness Training Computer (red)
A huge shout of thanks goes out to the kind folks at Polar as they sent us an extra Polar FT7 Training Computer to give away in a prize drawing.
The prize drawing is open to US residents, 18 years of age or older.
This contest is now closed and the winner has been announced below. However, sign up for our Rewards Club for exciting future drawings.
Sign up for our completely FREE Rewards Club to enter:
We will never spam or sell your email address
Note: the Polar FT7 Fitness Training Computer has a retail value of $119.95 and is made available by Polar. Thanks!