The Hotel del Coronado on Coronado Island Near San Diego
The second stop on our Southern California coastal resort tour was the historic Hotel del Coronado.
We’ve had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel del Coronado a few years ago, and there was no question in our minds that this grand dame hotel should be included in our tour.
Built in 1887, this Victorian jewel sits on one of the most beautiful beaches in America (Best Beach 2012), while offering its guests not only a charming island atmosphere, but access to downtown San Diego with just a short 10-minute drive across the Coronado Bridge.
As we were traveling in the shoulder season, this time we were able to score one of the newly renovated full ocean-view Junior Suites. For a room that was built in a time when our national flag had only 38 stars, we found our room to be modern, very comfortable, spacious, and replete with all of the luxury niceties that we have come to enjoy in our travels around the world.
Look below to find complimentary VIP amenities we’ve arranged for your visit!
Take a peek at our video as we share with you a glimpse of our recent visit:
Our Favorite Memories of the Hotel del Coronado
- From the moment we crossed the Coronado Bridge, Coronado Island greeted us with her charm, and we found instant relaxation as though we had just taken the deepest of deep breaths. Ahhhh….
- As we walked into the grand lobby, the history of the place was nearly palpable. Before us, through these very doors, walked former U.S. presidents like Taft, Roosevelt, Reagan, Nixon, Carter, and Ford; as well as notable celebrities like Charlie Chapman, Charles Lindbergh, and in 1958, Marilyn Monroe filmed at the Hotel del Coronado for the movie Some Like it Hot.
- We found hours of enjoyment watching the world go by from our balcony. Not only did we enjoy a few quiet moments of reading, but we were also entertained by the sea gulls, people walking on the beach, the sound of the waves lapping on the beach, occasional military aircraft flying by, navel personnel running on the beach and training in the waters, military ships moving about the seas, and best of all, stunningly beautiful sunsets.
- The beach at the Hotel del Coronado is nothing short of spectacular. Dubbed America’s #1 beach by “Dr. Beach” in 2012, we enjoyed an idyllic stroll as we enjoyed the gentle waves lapping the beach glistening with diamond-like particles of the mineral mica in the soft white sand.
- The boutique shops of the town are just a few blocks away from the hotel.
- Our beach-front dining experience at 1500 Ocean was fabulous. The setting was romantic, and the locally-sourced cuisine of Executive Chef John Shelton was a real treat.
- Let me again mention the sunsets. Wow!
- A big surprise, and a real treat was our champagne and s’mores experience over a wood burning fire on the beach. What a perfect ending to the day!
- As we were traveling in November, another favorite memory was the marine layer blowing in one of the evenings of our stay. I was standing on my balcony, photographing the sunset; and within seven minutes the blue skies and sunset disappeared, and I found myself completely engulfed in an ethereal fog that completely changed the ambiance of the evening. Quite magical, it was!
We love San Diego, and when we visit, the hotel that first comes to our minds is the Hotel del Coronado, and we can’t wait until we can visit again.
Complimentary VIP Amenities
As travel advisors with the Virtuoso Travel Network, we’re pleased to have some very special VIP amenities exclusively for our readers. When you book your stay at the Hotel del Coronado through us, you will receive:
- A complimentary room upgrade on arrival, subject to availability (not available for Beach Village).
- Breakfast each day for up to two in-room guests.
- $100 USD spa services credit to be used during your stay (valid only for Main Resort Suites and Beach Village).
- A beautiful commemorative book celebrating over 125 years at The Del.
- Early check-in/check-out (subject to availability).
When you book your room through us, our special, complimentary VIP amenities can easily add up to hundreds of dollars in value depending on the length of your stay. Note: these complimentary amenities are for 2014 and may be subject to change in future years.
We highly recommend that you visit the Hotel del Coronado, and when you do, please enjoy these fine amenities brought to you by us. 🙂
To book your room at the Hotel del Coronado, and to receive these complimentary amenities, call us at (480) 550-1235, or let us know of your request by using our handy online information form: CLICK HERE
Disclosure: our stay was provided by the kind folks at the Hotel del Coronado. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our monthly newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.