Hawaii Opens to U.S. Travelers
Hawaii opens the door to U.S. travelers. However, there are important guidelines and COVID-19 testing requirements that must be followed.
From the beginning of the coronavirus crisis, Hawaii’s governor shut the state’s tourism down with a required 14-day quarantine. In the early days, travelers were unwilling to fly the distance to Hawaii. Further, they were also unwilling to quarantine for 14-days once they got there.
Consequently, this has put a tremendous strain on Hawaii’s burgeoning tourism industry.
However, beginning today, October 15, 2020, a pre-travel testing option will allow travelers an alternative to Hawaii’s 14-day quarantine.
Hawaii’s Safe Travels Online Program
- Book your flight.
- All adults 18 & over must register for the Safe Travels online program. All children traveling with an adult should be included in this form.
- No earlier than 72-hours before your flight departure time, you must take an FDA-authorized Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified CLIA lab. As of 10/13/2020, the State of Hawaii will only accept tests from these authorized sources: AFC Urgent Care, Bartell Drugs, Carbon Health, CityHealth Urgent Care, Color, CVS Health, Discovery Health MD, Kaiser Permanente, Quest Diagnostics, Vault Health, and Walgreens. Minors five years and older must take the pre-travel test. Minors four years and younger do NOT need to take the test. Travelers are responsible for the cost of the test.
- 24-hours prior to boarding your flight, log into your Safe Travels account and fill in the travel health questionnaire. At the end of the questionnaire, you will receive a QR code to present at the airport in Hawaii.
- Travel to Hawaii.
- Upon arrival in Hawaii, you will be subject to a secondary temperature screening.
- If you pass that test and have a negative COVID-19 test, then quarantine is not required. Anything else will require immediate quarantine and isolation.
- Lastly, remember to pack your mask in your carry-on luggage. Masks are required in Hawaii.
While all of this is burdensome, it does give U.S. travelers a wonderful way to enjoy the beach during the winter months.
Furthermore, now that testing is more widespread, we’re finding that it is now possible to obtain COVID-19 test results within the required 72-hours.
If you have decided to make the flight to Hawaii, we would invite you to book your hotel or resort using our convenient online booking tools:
- Virtuoso Booking Engine: here you can book 5-star hotels and resorts in Hawaii online and receive our renowned Virtuoso complimentary VIP perks.
- Classic Vacations Booking Engine: here you can book 4 & 5-star hotels and resorts, airline tickets, tours, and vacation rentals online 24/7
- Preferred Partner Programs: we have preferred partner status with the world’s finest hotels and resorts. What this means to you are often greater perks and benefits. Hotels include Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, Rosewood, Fairmont, Marriott luxury hotel brands, Hyatt luxury hotel brands, and more. For these benefits, give drop us a call or email.
For more information or to book a fun Hawaii getaway, please call Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235 or use our convenient online information request (click here) and we’ll reach out to you.
Carol and I have been to Hawaii numerous times. To explore our articles and adventures, CLICK HERE.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our travel newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.
Roaming Boomers Travel Services is an Independent Affiliate of Cadence, a Virtuoso® member. CST#201120-40