English Rose Tea Room: Royal Tea Tour of London
English Rose Tea Room Announces Royal Tea Tour of London
Join Jo Gemmill, owner of Carefree, Arizona’s English Rose Tea Room on a fun-filled Royal Tea Tour of London (June 2016)
Since 2002, owner Jo Gemmill (our good friend) has been delighting guests with an authentic English tea experience in her English Rose Tea Room in Carefree, Arizona.
Born and raised in England, Jo has amassed a large and loyal following of tea aficionados who flock to her Victorian-styled tea room to sample the world’s finest tea leaves, enjoy a fresh salad, soups, or home-made quiche; and of course, fresh scones with Devonshire cream and jam.
With her beautiful smile and quintessential English accent, Jo has become Arizona’s greatest ambassador for all things British. And now, Jo would like to extend an exclusive opportunity to join her on a small group tour of London to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday, and a chance to experience firsthand all of the British customs, noteworthy landmarks, and exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences that are unique to London.
“You can’t book something like this through a regular travel agent or on the Internet,” says Jo. “We will be experiencing things and meeting people that the general public wouldn’t have the opportunity to do.”
In honor of Queen Elizabeth II’s 90th birthday, Jo and 14 guests will have the unique opportunity to explore London, of the world’s most loved cities. They will spend eight days visiting some of the most popular attractions, visit with special guests and partake in some exclusive behind- the-scenes tours of the royal estates, including Windsor Castle, St. Paul’s Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.
One of the highlights of the trip includes Trooping the Colour. This opportunity offers VIP seating at the regimental parade honoring the Queen’s birthday, where you will see the entire royal family pass by in open carriages in a procession toward Buckingham Palace. Live music is played and flags are paraded from all regiments of the British and Commonwealth armies.
Another exclusive highlight of the trip will be witnessing the Order of the Garter Ceremony at Windsor Castle. This is where new knights, chosen by the Queen, take the knight’s oath with the Queen and other members of the royal family in attendance. Again, this is a once in a lifetime experience.
“Although I bring a little bit of England to Carefree, my hope is that guests will get a whole new appreciation for England and be exposed to insider information about tea, the royal family, and London’s great landmarks” says Jo.
For years, London, England has been the #1 tourist destination in the world. Take a peek at the fun-filled itinerary you will experience when you join Jo Gemmill on her Royal Tea Tour of London:
English Rose Tea Room’s Royal Tea Tour of London – June 9-16, 2016
Day 1 – Thursday, June 9
- Arrive London and meet the group’s driver for a private transfer to London’s Stafford Hotel. Depending on your arrival time, you’ll enjoy a day of private leisure with an evening group get-together to raise a glass of champagne to kick off the week’s festivities.
Day 2 – Friday, June 10
- Meet the group’s private guide and driver for a panoramic tour of London. This is the perfect way to start your visit to London and to get your bearings. You will see the famous facades of The Houses of Parliament including the iconic clock tower “Big Ben”, the coronation church of Westminster Abbey and St Paul’s Cathedral. Follow the golden thread of The River Thames and cross such famous bridges as London Bridge and Tower Bridge. Your guide will know the perfect viewpoints to stop for photos, whilst telling you the stories and anecdotes that make London the unique and vibrant city it is today and has been for 2,000 years. Enjoy lunch and the rest of the afternoon at your leisure.
Day 3 – Saturday, June 11
- Trooping the Colour! Meet your private guide and driver and head to Horse Guards Parade for Trooping the Colour. To witness Trooping the Colour or to use its correct title, The Sovereign’s Birthday Parade, is to witness one of greatest British ceremonial parades of all time. Guests will see all the pomp and pageantry, precision and perfection that has come to be associated with great royal processions. Nothing is more stirring than the first sounds of the military bands as they march down The Mall, or the first flash of the scarlet regimental uniforms, or the glimmering breastplates of the Household Cavalry!
Lunch served at Wellington Barracks after the parade. At the end of the day return to your hotel for an evening at leisure.
Day 4, Sunday, June 12
- Morning at leisure. In the afternoon, your group’s private driver will whisk you off to enjoy a traditional English Afternoon Tea at the Savoy in the Thames Foyer. The Thames Foyer is very much the heart of The Savoy. A stunning glass dome floods this sociable spot with wonderful natural light – and beneath this, a pianist serenades guests from a winter garden gazebo, as they enjoy a world-famous afternoon tea. Afternoon Tea at The Savoy is an enduring custom where guests can choose from a range of teas served with finger sandwiches, homemade scones with clotted cream & jam and a mouth-watering selection of seasonal cakes and pastries created by The Savoy’s Executive Pastry Chef, Ludwig Hely. Evening at your leisure.
Day 5 – Monday, June 13
- Meet the group’s private guide and driver and head out of London to Windsor. Enjoy lunch in Windsor and then watch the Order of The Garter Ceremony. Every June, the Knights of the Garter gather at Windsor Castle, where new knights take the oath and are invested with the insignia. Knights of the Garter are chosen personally by the Sovereign to honour those who have held public office, who have contributed in a particular way to national life or who have served the Sovereign personally.
The procession, founded by Edward III in 1348, The Order of the Garter is the most senior and the oldest British Order of Chivalry. The Queen attends the service as Sovereign of the Order. Other members of the Royal Family in the Order also attend, including The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Princess Royal. Return to London at the end of the day for an evening at leisure.
Day 6 – Tuesday, June 14
- Meet the group’s private guide and driver for a full day exploring London. Visit Westminster Abbey. Westminster Abbey enshrines the history of a nation. The Abbey is the coronation church of every king and queen of England since 1066 and the site of royal weddings and funerals. In 2011, Prince William married Catherine Middleton here and, poignantly, it is also where the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, took place in 1997. Westminster Abbey is a historical “who’s who” of great Britons, with over 3,000 burials and 600 memorials performed here over its near millennium of history; it is a burial place of medieval Kings and Queens as well as great names from British history including Sir Isaac Newton, Sir Winston Churchill and George Frederick Handel. But is not just the resting place of kings and noblemen, people come from all over the world to pay homage at “Poet’s Corner”, where you will find the most famous names in literature: William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Geoffrey Chaucer, Rudyard Kipling, The Bronte Sisters, C.S Lewis and many more. In the afternoon, enjoy lunch at leisure. After lunch enjoy a Private Visit Behind the Scenes at St. Paul’s Cathedral. Step “behind the scenes” of this magnificent Baroque creation of Sir Christopher Wren and witness the secrets that are hidden up amongst the rafters. This 2-3 hour private tour is exclusive to our group and explores places within the Cathedral not open to the public. At the end of the day return to your hotel for an evening at leisure.
Day 7 – Wednesday, June 15
- In the morning, Take a Tea Masterclass at Twinings Flagship Store on The Strand. Thomas Twining bought Tom’s Coffee House on London’s Strand in 1706 and from that day forward the Twinings name has been famous for selling some of the best teas in the world. During this 2hr master class you will learn about the history of tea and Twinings – Europe’s oldest tea company. Learn about tea from plant to cup; the different varieties; loose leaf vs tea bag and of course a tasting. Afternoon at leisure. Afternoon at leisure. You may want to go off on your own to do some shopping, or perhaps visit nearby Kensington Palace, or perhaps the Tower of London. The Stafford Hotel has London’s most famous and knowledgeable concierge, and he’ll be happy to help you plan the perfect afternoon in London to celebrate the last day of the tour.
Day 8 – Thursday, June 16
- Private group transfer to the airport. If you like, you can also talk to Roaming Boomers Travel Services about extending your stay.
We’re confident that this very special London experience will not only allow you to enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but our exclusive behind-the-scenes visits to very special British ceremonies and landmarks will make this a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Jo Gemmill’s Royal Tea Tour Details & Inclusions:
- Dates: June 9-16, 2016
- Lodging: Seven nights at The Stafford London (deluxe king room) with included breakfast each morning
- Transfers: Group transfers to/from the airport
- Guides: Private driver & guide each day
- Meals: As listed in the itinerary above, plus a special farewell dinner on the last night of the tour.
- Price: £4750 GBP/person based on double occupancy. Single supplement of £1300 GBP.
- Not Included:
- Food and beverage unless stated
- Gratuity to the guide and driver
- Entrances and admissions unless stated or as part of our private tours
Note: prices based on a minimum requirement of 14 guests.
- Non-refundable 20% initial deposit due at booking
- Second deposit payment is due on/before 2/2/2016
- Final payment is due 4/2/2016
- Deposit of 20% is non-refundable
- Cancellation with three (3) calendar months prior to the day of arrival, 50% of total costs including deposit
- Cancellation with two (2) calendar months prior to the day of arrival, 80% of total costs including deposit
- Cancellation within one (1) month prior to the day of arrival, 100% of total costs including deposit
We strongly recommend travel insurance to protect your investment in the case of cancellation.
To book your spot on this once-in-a-lifetime Royal Tea Tour, call David or Carol at the Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our monthly newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.