Chocolat Bistro Creperie & Creamerie in San Diego (Hillcrest)
OK! Here’s the deal.
What I am about to share with you is such a tremendous find that it is necessary that by reading this article you agree to hold us harmless for what is likely to become a food addiction, and perhaps even require that you add an additional 30 minutes to each of your work outs.
Chocolat Bistro Creperie & Creamerie is going to blow your socks off with quintessential Italian flavors, and will do it in three different venues in one place:
- a very fine Italian bistro
- a trendy, hip wine bar
- and the best Italian gelato I have ever tasted!
This establishment is absolutely obsessed with using only the finest Italian ingredients, and creating objects of such gastronomical delight that you will certainly have to give yourself a most profound lecture on the follies of gluttony.
Please allow me to share with you the eight (can you believe that) samples of delight they shared with us.
First of all, before we even started our meal, General Manager Daniele Visco brought us both cocktails from their wine baSer. We each had a Blood Orange Mimosa (prosecco & blood orange juice), and a Thyme Bellini (prosecco, peach nectar & thyme).
You should also know that with each of the coming courses, Daniele brought a parring taste of wine from their fantastic wine bar as well. Holy wine samples Batman!
OK! Here we go:
- First Course – two samples of Bruschetta: Tomatoes & Mozzarella (Parmigiano, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), and Ricotta & Pears (Honey & Black Pepper). Wow!
- Second Course – Mozzarelle: Napoleon (Fior di Latte Cow Mozzarella, Roasted Eggplant, Bell Peppers, Portobello, Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar). Spectacular!
- Third Course – Shrimp Sambuca (Shrimp sautéed in Garlic, Tomatoes, Tarragon & Sambuca Liquor). Yabba Dabba Doo!
- Fourth Course – Bone Marrow (Baked, served with Roasted Garlic, Salsa Verde & Artisan Bread). I couldn’t get Carol to try this, but I am a huge fan and loved it!
- Fifth Course – Pasta: Lasagna (Layers of Homemade Pasta in Veal Ragu Bolognese Style & Béchamel), Pumpkin Ravioli (Gorgonzola & Roasted Hazelnut). If I knew how to make a loud whistle noise, I would have been standing on my chair doing just that!
- Sixth Course – Lemon Vodka Sorbet Martini. Unbelievable!
- Seventh Course – we shared a gelato dessert dish with Pistachio, Coconut, and Hazelnut Gelato.
- Eighth Course – four sample servings of Dark Chocolate Gelato with the following individual added flavors: plain dark chocolate, hazelnut, mint, and spicy. OH! For heaven’s sake that dark chocolate was goooood!
I can’t even begin to tell you how good these preparations were. Absolutely everything was unbelievably good.
As I sit here in Scottsdale, Arizona writing this wonderful recollection, I am lamenting the fact that we don’t have one of these Chocolat Bistro Creperie & Creameries in our town.
A most wonderful, must visit dining experience!
Now, with all the food and wine from this dining experience, we went back to our room at the Britt Scripps Inn and took a nap. We completely blew off our afternoon museum plans in Balboa Park. LOL!