Best Cruise Lines for Antarctica
Best Cruise Lines for Antarctica
Let me share with you the best cruise lines for Antarctica.
As I mentioned in this article, expedition cruising is the next travel megatrend, with 44 new ships coming in the next two years.
And one of the expedition cruise regions with significant growth in 2022 is the Antarctic.
The number of ships sailing in the Antarctic is up 61%, from 34 ships in 2021 to 55 in 2022.
Further, the capacity from 2021 to 2022 has grown 187%, with the 55 ships able to carry 76,787 passengers, up from 26,739 passengers in 2021.
That is a significant uptrend in ships and capacity. And I am sure we will all see Antarctica much more prevalent in cruise advertising.
When to Visit Antarctica
Generally speaking, the Antarctic cruise season runs from October through March. Here is an excellent graphic from our friends at Hurtigruten to further explain the season:
Our Recommended Cruise Lines for Antarctica
- Hurtigruten – Hurtigruten, a Norwegian company, has been sailing the waters of Antarctica for over 20 years. They have three ships sailing in the region, two of which are reasonably new state-of-the-art vessels. These new ships carry a maximum of 500 people in Antarctica.
- Ponant – A French company, Ponant sails some of the most luxurious expedition ships on the planet. These are generally smaller ships carrying 264 passengers.
- Viking – Viking has two brand new purpose-built expedition ships in the Antarctic carrying a maximum of 378 guests.
- Silversea Expeditions – Silversea has three ships sailing in Antarctica. And uniquely, if you don’t want to sail the notorious Drake Passage, they will fly you to Antarctica with their Antarctica Bridge program. When we finally get to Antarctica, we’ll fly over the Drake.
- Quark Expeditions – Quintessentially polar expeditions, Quark will take you places that no one else visits. They’ve got two helicopters on board the new Ultramarine, and they can get you up close and personal with the Antarctic.
- Lindblad/National Geographic – they’ve been exploring the Antarctic for over 50 years.
As shown in the list above, many other companies are exploring Antarctica. However, these companies are the best of the best, and our Virtuoso Travel Network annually vets them for financial soundness. These companies can be relied upon to deliver the once-in-a-lifetime journey expedition travelers are looking to experience.
How to Book an Antarctica Cruise
Our recommended Antarctica cruise lines are all part of our Virtuoso Voyages program.
This means that when you book any of these cruise lines through Roaming Boomers Travel Services, you will receive exclusive complimentary amenities on select sailings that you wouldn’t get by booking directly with the company.
Additionally, you will also enjoy our hands-on expert service and care for your booking.
And, the price is exactly the same whether you book with us or directly with the company. Therefore, take advantage of our expertise and perks.
For more information or to book a fun Antarctica cruise, please call Roaming Boomers Travel Services at (480) 550-1235 or use our convenient online information request (click here), and we’ll reach out to you.
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for our travel newsletter to keep abreast of our best travel tips, on-location reviews, exclusive travel offers, group travel events, and much more.
Roaming Boomers Travel Services is an Independent Affiliate of Cadence, a Virtuoso® member. CST#201120-40
Virtuoso® is the leading global network of agencies specializing in luxury and experiential travel, with over 20,000 advisors. We partner with over 1,800 of the world’s best companies such as hotels, cruise lines, tour operators, and more. Our advisors use their personal connections and firsthand expertise to craft bespoke trips for clients, including unique experiences, special values, complimentary perks, VIP treatment, and rare access.