Welcome to The Roaming Boomers!
In 1991, we wrote into our life-plan that we would like to be “retire-able” when I (David) reached the age of 50.
In 2006, exactly on my 50th birthday, remarkably our dream came true as we sold our business, our commercial building, our personal residence and moved from Michigan to Scottsdale, Arizona.
The next few years brought great fun as we explored the southwest, made new friends, and reveled in the fruits of our labors.
However, there was a darkening cloud building in me as the transition from years of high energy business-building to “early-retirement” began to spawn a growing depression.
Then, when the markets collapsed in the fall of 2008, we lost 45% of our cash assets and all of a sudden our well-crafted retirement plan was now suddenly broken.
It was completely devastating to work all those years, trying hard to always do the right thing, and then have something like this completely break our plan to pieces. No longer did we have sufficient cash assets to support us for the rest of our lives, and if we didn’t want to be “big-box” store greeters at age 70, we needed to come up with a new plan.”
It was out of the ashes of this great market depression that The Roaming Boomers® was born.
We combined our many years of entrepreneurship with our great love of travel and set off to see if we could build success in a completely different business sector. We figured if we were going to rebuild, we might as well also reinvent.
The Roaming Boomers® is an online luxury travel magazine with an eye towards experience, adventure, learning, and exploration.
Our hope is that we can build a great audience of baby boomers who not only have fun vicariously joining us on our adventures, but more importantly, we hope that we can instill our great love of travel so that the coming bubble of 79 million US baby boomers will come out and join us!
To quote St. Augustine, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”
Will you join us? Here’s how you will benefit:
- Explore with us as we discover great places to stay, great places to eat, and great things to do when you travel.
- Have fun as we show you neat gizmo’s, and doodads that will enhance your travel experience.
- Be in the know as we keep you abreast of exciting travel related news and information.
- Last, but not least, we might even become great friends!
You can follow us by:
- Subscribing to our e-mail notification system. This will send you an e-mail each time we add something new to our website. Please note that once you sign up for this particular service, you must respond to an e-mail verification message to activate this service. This helps us prevent spammers. Also, in the unlikely event you desire to stop receiving these e-mails, you can very easily unsubscribe with a simple unsubscribe link in each e-mail.
- Subscribe to our RSS Feed. (Here is a video I made to explain RSS Feeds). This is personally my preferred way to follow a website.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- “Like us” and follow along on our Facebook Page.
We have big plans for this on-line travel magazine, and are working on plans to not only inform, educate, and entertain, but will soon be offering you tangible benefits that will save you money, and get you free stuff!
Follow us today so you don’t miss a thing!
David & Carol Porter