Travelers to get Apple Maps on Apple’s iPhone 5
However, we found ourselves in great dismay when we found that we had lost the turn-by-turn spoken directions that came with our Android device and Google Maps.
I’ll never forget trying to follow Apple’s stupid blue dot while driving solo on the highways of Los Angeles. I was so frustrated, I immediately bought a $30 GPS app from Garmin to solve my dilemma.
That travel app has served us well, but now it seems that Apple has developed their own turn-by-turn spoken directions with a new app on the iPhone 5 called Apple Maps.
Features of Apple Maps
- Designed by Apple from the ground up
- Turn-by-turn spoken directions
- Interactive 3D views
- Real-time traffic information
- Flyover. Explore cities in high resolution as you zoom, pan, tilt, and rotate around the city.
- Integration with Siri. Tell Siri where you want to go and she’ll get you there.
- Local search integrated with Yelp.
I don’t know about you, but this is one baby boomer traveler that is looking forward to having the new Apple Maps in my pocket. I’m also looking forward to watching the integration with other useful travel apps as time goes on.