St. Regis Princeville Resort on Kauai, Hawaii
St. Regis Princeville Resort ~ Kauai, Hawaii – When I was a kid, we didn’t get a color television set until I was 16 years old. A striking childhood memory was watching the Wizard of Oz in full living color at a friend’s home. I was completely awe-struck when my black-and-white television experience exploded into technicolor on their television.
The island of Kauai brought back to my mind the sharp distinctions between bright, vibrant colors and the potential for gray muted colors with its rainforest draped mountains.
What this means to a baby boomer traveler is that a visit to the North Shore of Kauai is likely to expose you to its tropical rains, and a properly adjusted set of expectations is well in order.
Now, I’m not suggesting that you will never see the sun. However, the possibility does exist.
Our visit to the beautiful St. Regis Princeville Resort was beset by a massive winter storm system that sat overhead for the whole duration of our visit.
But, this storm brought hundreds of waterfalls into life, and we were able to experience unfathomable sites that we would not otherwise have seen.
My photograph of Bali Hai (above) illustrates my point precisely.
Most fortunately, if we grew weary of wet weather, we always had the remarkable St. Regis Princeville Resort to make our escape and bathe in pure four-star luxury.
Following a multi-million dollar renovation, the St. Regis Princeville opened in 2009 and became Hawaii’s first St. Regis property offering the legendary brand’s unparallelled services and amenities.
St. Regis Princeville is located on the North Shore of the magnificent island of Kaua‘i, built on historic grounds beside the emerald green Hanalei Valley and overlooking the awe-inspiring Napali Coast. The St. Regis Princeville Resort is surrounded by five majestic mountains, a patchwork of taro farms, a wildlife refuge, equestrian paths and hiking trails.
Our Favorite St. Regis Princeville Memories
- The St. Regis Princeville serves up a very powerful first impression. After the very attentive staff quickly checked us into our room, the first views of the bay, with the tropical mountain backdrop was nothing short of stunning.
- Sitting on our patio, and gazing upon the unbelievable panorama left us completely gobsmacked! (love that word)
- The sand beach, the spectacular infinity pool, the lime-colored umbrellas to lounge underneath, the large black boulders strewn along the shore, the smell of perhaps the freshest air on earth, and the mystique that this is home to Puff the Magic Dragon and Bali Hai all combine to make this a very magical place.
- Our peek-a-boo shower was an interesting first experience. The glass shower formed the wall in the main area of the room. If you so desired, you could watch your lover shower while working at your desk. For those who might be far more discrete, a simple flick of a switch in the bathroom fogged the glass so that there was complete privacy.
- Dining at the Kaua‘i Grill, and reveling in the exquisite cuisine of internationally acclaimed chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten. To add significant drama his cuisine, the restaurant featured spectacular views of Hanalei Bay with panoramic floor-to-ceiling windows.
- The resort’s service was impeccable in every way.
The significant romance, and the penultimate luxury found at the St. Regis Princeville left a pronounced impression in our minds, and has earned a place in our hearts that we definitely, most assuredly, must again visit.
If you want a place dripping in romance, surrounded by inexpressible beauty, and desire pampering fit for the Royals, then we highly recommend the St. Regis Princeville.
We both want to go back. Now!